WIDA ACCESS for ELLs 2.0
The WIDA Access for ELLs 2.0 examines student’s levels of English proficiency of both social and academic language. Social language is used to communicate for everyday purposes. Academic language, or the language of school, is used to communicate the content of language arts, mathematics, science and social studies.
Levels of English Proficiency
- Entering – Limited or no understanding of the English language.
- Beginning – Understands short phrases or sentences.
- Developing – Understands expanded sentences, and is developing social and academic language.
- Expanding – Good language skills, but may require support in academic areas or when there is a high degree of literacy required.
- Bridging – Knows and uses social and academic language.
- Reaching – Knows and uses social and academic language at the highest levels.